Welcome friends and fellow advocates for quality school libraries!
We are excited to share our commitment to ensuring that all Oakland Unified School District students have access to a quality school library.
Public school libraries and professional school librarians have suffered from budget cuts and continue to be at risk if funding does not improve. Many OUSD school libraries have been forced to close, collections have become outdated or unavailable to students and teachers due to lack of library staff.
Regardless of these challenges, the resources provided by a quality school library are paramount to success in reading, especially in disadvantaged communities.
Since 2009, twelve OUSD libraries have been completely renovated and/or restored with the help of community volunteers under the direction of the OUSD district librarian, Ann Gallagher. We are delighted to add the library at Global Family and the library shared by Rise Community and New Highland elementary schools to “Our Success Story.” In addition, Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries has participated in restoring, supporting, updating and/or providing volunteer staff at several additional libraries: ClevelandElementary, Bridges Academy, La Escuelita, Fruitvale Elementary, Parker Elementary, and Roosevelt Middle School. All of these schools have beautiful libraries!
In 2013, Melrose Leadership Academy, Brookfield, West Oakland Middle School, Sobrante Park and Roots International will see new libraries. FOPSL will update and/or provide additional resources to the libraries in OUSD’s Balance Literacy Cohort: Sankofa, Emerson, Redwood Heights, Acorn Woodland, REACH, and Think College Now.
Friends of the Oakland Public School Libraries are dedicated to putting books back in the hands of OUSD students, one library at a time.
Please take some time to learn more about who we are, what we do, where we are going and how YOU can help.
If you are interested in becoming part of the solution, please come join us!
Libraries Restored by FOPSL
- Sankofa Elementary School Aug 2009 – Sep 2009
- Madison Middle School Oct 2009 – Nov 2009
- Frick Middle School Oct 2009 – Feb 2010
- Marshall Elementary School Nov 2009 – Sep 2010
- REACH Academy Elementary School Feb 2010 – Nov 2010
- Howard Elementary School Sep 2010 – Jan 2011
- Garfield Elementary School Nov 2010 – Mar 2011
- Grass Valley Elementary School Feb 2011 – Aug 2011
- PLACE @ Prescott Elementary School Oct 2011 – June 2012
- CUE @ Lockwood/Futures Elementary Schools Oct 2011 – June 2012
- Global Family Elementary School Nov 2012 – Jan 2013
- Rise Community/New Highland Elementary Schools Sep 2012-Mar 2013